Dear !*SALUTATION*! !*LAST_NAME*!,
First of all, I would like to wish my readers a Happy New Year.
The last year ended and this year started tragically with the tsunami distaster around the Indian Ocean, and we can only hope that the massive relief efforts in which so many countries and people have participated, would
would easy the suffering of those who survived, get the economies and communities back on track, and perhaps also somwhat help to unite the world.
Our first Club Evening at Finland Cafe was successful and therefore we have decided to organize another one, this time at the Moomin Cafe & Bakery in LaQua at Korakuen. As the name indicates, the cafe has a bakery where you could buy typical Finnish bread. It also has a shop for Moomin goods.
Date & Time:||Wednesday, 19 January, 19:00-
Place: ||Moomin Cafe & Bakery at LaQua Tokyo Dome City [MAP]
Cost:||3,000 yen (collected at the door)|
including one drink and light buffet
Registration:||by Monday 17 January
By keeping the fee low, we try to encourage many staff members from our member companies to join, guest and spouses are also welcome! If you would like to attend and have not yet registered, please click link at right.
In the latter half of 2004, after more than a year of deliberations by the EBC Taskforce, the EBC Council approved a revision of the EBC Constitution to take effect from January 1, 2005. In accordance with the revision, there are several changes, but major differences are:
- The EBC's name has been changed from the European Business Community in Japan to the EUROPEAN BUSINESS COUNCIL in Japan. (We will be replacing our printed stationery gradually, so the old name will still appear on some items until we phase them out.)
- The EBC Council (previously consisting of Chamber Presidents and EOB
members) is now called the EBC BOARD of GOVERNORS (BoG)
- The EBC Board of Governors will include 3 Committee Chairmen to be elected by their fellow committee chairmen. These 3 committee chairmen will represent EBC members in the BoG and will have one vote each. In addition, one of the three elected committee chairmen will selected by the EBC Chairman and BoG to serve as a Vice-Chairman of the EBC.
- The members of the Executive Operating Board (EOB) are no longer called EBC Vice-Chairmen (but will be referred to as Members of the Executive Operating Board).
- There will be 2 EBC Vice-Chairmen, one selected from among the EOB members and one from among the three elected Committee Chairmen.
Finnish current account surplus inches up to EUR 970 mln
Finland's current account surplus increased to 970 million euros in November from last year's 801 million, the National Board of Customs said on Tuesday.
According to preliminary Customs data, November exports grew by 17 per cent year-on-year to 4.51 billion euros. Imports rose by 16 per cent to 3.45 billion euros.
Intra-EU exports increased by 11 per cent to reach 2.62 billion euros in the period under review. Imports from the EU rose by 3 per cent to 1.98 billion euros.
Business Advice No 1 - How to make money
A young man asked an old rich man how he made his money.
The old guy fingered his worsted wool vest and said, "Well, son, it was 1932. The depth of the Great Depression. I was down to my last nickel.
"I invested that nickel in an apple. I spent the entire day polishing the apple and, at the end of the day, I sold the apple for ten cents.
"The next morning, I invested those ten cents in two apples. I spent the entire day polishing them and sold them at 5:00 pm for 20 cents. I continued this system for a month, by the end of which I'd accumulated a fortune of $1.37."
"And that's how you built an empire?" the boy asked.
"Heavens, no!" the man replied. "Then my wife's father died and left us two million dollars."
Have a good rest of the week and hope to see you at our Club Evening on the 19th!
Clas G. Bystedt
If you have any comments, rumors, gossip or inside information,
send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open in browser >>